Wednesday 20 March 2019

My Supplies Catalog

This post was written specifically for the gals over at the GOC facebook group.  Thanks ladies for asking for more particulars! 

A couple years ago I saw a woman at Michael's with a book showing the art supplies she owned.  I thought the idea was brilliant and stored it away.

Then I discovered the Get Organized Challenge!  Steps 5 & 6 encourage us to make a catalog of our supplies.  There are lots of ways to do it within that course.  Remembering the portable catalog, I designed mine this way:

I purchased a traveler's notebook designed by Dyan Reaveley, including a cover, 4 blank books, 1 grid book and 1 dot-grid book. (click here for video of her showing how she uses it)


In my studio, this is the view from my worktable, usually without the catalog.  The pretty vignette makes a nice background though.




A couple of the
books lying flat,
inside and attached
to the cover.



     





The beginning of the notebook with all the books in it.



Each book is dedicated to a tool I use:  COLOR, STENCILS, DIES, STAMPS.  There's a skinny little book in the middle with my themes & sentiments list; info on scraprack pages -- their sizes, what I have -- and space to add an index.

Here's what the inside of the books look like:

Colors of Distress Ink stamp pads,
with a note whether I have a mini, reinker, oxide, archival.

Using Peek-A-Hue charts, I sampled my glitter glue and Liquid Pearls,

Gelly Roll pens & Sharpie paint markers.

I also have similar pages showing all my colored markers; acrylic paint; spray ink; watercolor paint, pencils & crayons; washi tape; rayon ribbon (this book is not large enough to hold samples of all my ribbon), 

and glitter:

My trick for adding glitter without a complete mess ~
Cut a piece of double sided tape (mine are 1/2"), sprinkle glitter on one sticky side, put extra glitter back in its bottle,  remove other sticky side and affix to Peek-A-Hue chart.

Making the color book has been my favorite!

 "Heart in Hand" by Joggles

Who knew I had so many stencils?  I needed 3 books dedicated to stencils.
Tim Holtz and 6x6 individual stencils fit on a single page.  
Larger stencils take up a full page spread.

This set of  Stencil Girl stencils works together.

I had a lot of fun playing to create the above scene.
Also useful, getting to see them altogether!

One book is enough for dies and punches.
(at least for now).

Adding stamps to a book lets me see what I have.  I have a real weakness for stamps, specially on certain themes (birds, beachy bits, travel).  Now I can see I don't need any more  stamps on those three topics, tho I'm not sure it's gonna stop me from purchasing more!

I have also discovered  which stamps I will NEVER use!
They are now in the give-away box!

When I have a specific place for things (stencils, un-mounted stamps), I have noted that place in the book.
As I organize the rest of my studio I will make a note in my book where tools & supplies are kept.

It's been fun to play with my supplies, find out what works, what doesn't, what I will use and what I won't.  And when I'm stuck for what next to do creatively, I can always add something to my catalog.

No comments: